Byrdie’s award-winning editors nominated, analyzed, and chose winners for 91 different categories designed to help readers narrow down the absolute best in beauty. Categories range from Best At-Home Peel (Renee Rouleau Triple Berry Smoothing Peel) to Best Lipstick (Mented Matte Lipstick), to Best Deodorant (Megababe Daily Deodorant in Rosy Pits) and Best Toothpaste (David’s Premium Natural Toothpaste in Mint).
While Byrdie has published “best-of” features in the past, this is the first time the editorial team has compiled a sweeping, cross-category list of awards. Byrdie’s annual Eco Beauty Awards, which focuses on clean, sustainable beauty, is now in its fifth year and inspired this broader examination of the industry.
Byrdie’s team of 15 editors, along with five guest judges, tested hundreds of products and nominated more than 400 contenders. The winners were selected based on three criteria: Efficacy, Overall Value, and “That Special Something,” that indescribable factor that makes a product a favorite.
To further educate its readers about the best of the best, each winner profile includes tags to identify where the product fits in the beauty industry-whether it is Byrdie Clean, made with sustainable packaging, vegan, cruelty-free, Black-, AAPI-, or Latinx-owned, and/or has a charitable element.
- The Dermatologist: Dr. Alexis Stephens of Parkland Dermatology, parklanddermatology.com
- The Esthetician: Sofie Pavitt of Sofie Pavitt Skincare Studio, sofiepavitt.com
- The Formulator: Joyce de Lemos, Co-Founder/Head of Product Development, Dieux, @joycedeezy
- The Hairstylist: Lacy Redway, @lacyredway
- The Influencer: Jackie Aina, @jackieaina
- The Rising Star Makeup Artist: Sam Visser, @samvissermakeup
- The Veteran Makeup Artist: Daniel Martin, @danielmartin
- The New Guard: Olamide Olowe, founder and CEO, Topicals, @olamideaolowe
- The Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Dara Liotta, facialplasticsnyc.com, @doctordaranyc
- The Wellness Leader: Shannon Boodram, certified intimacy educator, shanboodram.com, @shanboody
- The Founder: Diarrha N’Diaye-Mbaye, CEO and founder, Ami Colé, @diarrhaxo
“After launching our fifth Eco Beauty Awards, we wanted to do a bigger, more comprehensive round-up of products that have made an indelible mark on our routines in 2021,” said Hallie Gould, Associate Editorial Director of Byrdie. “The winning formulas are a mix of brand-new launches and time-tested favorites, and the people we’ve chosen are those who have shape-shifted the beauty space through influence, innovation, artistry, and/or medical expertise. We launched The Byrdies to celebrate everything and everyone we adore in the industry.”
See the full list of the 2021 Byrdie Beauty Award winners here.